To celebrate its 50th anniversary, Bowers & Wilkins has a gift for its fans: a new flagship headphone, the P9 Signature ($900, £700, AU$1,400).
I haven’t played around with it yet, but it does look swanky, and Bowers & Wilkins is calling it its best-sounding and most luxurious headphone to date. It’s also the company’s largest over-ear headphone and weighs a hefty 415 grams.
Completely custom made, Bowers & Wilkins says the headphone is engineered by the team responsible for the class-leading 800 D3 loudspeaker and features “bespoke” technology and a “crystal-clear listening experience that’s created through the innovative placement of the transducer, which is positioned to provide a more natural listening experience.”
Needless to say, with that kind of build-up, I look forward to testing out a pair and getting CNET contributor Steve Guttenberg’s thoughts on the sound along with editor Ty Pendelbury’s.
While we wait for a review sample, here’s a look at the headphones’ highlights, according to Bowers & Wilkins.
- Crafted from Italian Saffiano leather, using a ‘stamping’ technique that gives the material a distinctive cross-hatch finish.
- Memory foam cushions in the earpads help isolate noise from the outside world and mold to the shape of the user’s head over time, providing both an acoustic seal and an incredibly comfortable listening experience.
- Aluminum arms make them ideal for music on the move thanks to their innovative foldable design and material choice, which adds greater durability.
- 415 grams
- 40mm drivers
- The luxurious case is crafted from Alcantara (suede-like feel) and Saffiano leather detail.
- Come with three high-performance cables suitable for use at home and on the go (one cable has an inline remote with microphone).
- An additional Lightning cable is in development and will be out from early 2017 free to those who have registered their P9 on www.bowers-wilkins.com.